29th February 2020
For this exercise we are asked to experiment by combining fragments of images to create a combined design. We were also asked to research Cubism (link to post) and Brendan Fowler’s Spring 2011 – Fall 2012 as initial inspiration for our work. From this research I also took time to research and post about two of my favourite ‘Joiner’ photographers, David Hockney and his ‘Joiner’ work and my actual favourite photographer Maurizio Galimberti.
I actually own quit a lot of books about Galimberti but I am annoyed because all of the excellent YouTube videos are in Italian with no subtitles or translation. However do have a look at the YouTube videos as they show him actually working and it is amazing.
Fragment 1: After Sue
After trauma counselling sometimes I have a relaxing break at the Wherry Hotel and enjoy a cup of coffee. This time however, I felt a little naughty and went for a mid-afternoon drink. My counsellors name is Sue so this is how I came by my title for this image because after I had seen Sue I had a couple of glasses of my favourite Budweiser.
Below is the contact sheet of images taken of my Budweiser still life. It is a natural shot because I haven’t directly placed things to look good as I wanted it to mimic the scene as it was rather than for it to look ‘perfect’ but staged.
The shots take into account many viewpoints as well as focusing in on some of the text, patterns, colours, lines and textures. I used my new SONY RX100 M4 as it is now my out and about casual camera.
Cross-app Still-life: After Sue
Once I had made a contact sheet, I chose which image I would use as my main subject on which I would build my fragment image. When designing a cross-app ‘fractured’ image I find it easier to cut away and build layers of shape as I go. Once I have a composition that I like, I add different viewpoints onto the first layer.
My chosen image is image 328 because it has more dynamic leading lines within the composition which when fragmented and layered looks strong and provides some excellent angles. Once chosen I adjusted the image and cropped and saved various close-ups to see if the image would be stronger if I focused in more on the bottles and glass.
Below the original image and three cropped images can be seen. The final cropped image (far right) was also straightened so that the emphasis on a correct vertical line becomes the glass where as originally it was the wooden menu holder that I had used as a vertical line which was a mistake I had made.
The above image I had chosen to build multiple views onto. I used both Photoshop and SketchBook for iPad to complete the composition. The working method I used was Layers and the hard eraser tool plus I enlarged and reduced parts of images and cut other parts into shapes. I also adjusted the hardness of the eraser tool for one photograph so that it became slightly transparent. This photograph is the reflection of the handrails within the lager which I then layered over the glass so that I achieved two reflections within the glass. I purposefully left the hard straight lines of the photograph so that it added a fracturing effect rather than blending them in anonymously with the other reflection.
Once all my shapes had been placed on the background image I erased parts of the background so that the fragments could be seen easier. This also made an effective line shape that contained within it mid and foreground details.
I also repeated the foreground so that the leaflet, mobile phone and handout stretched across the picture plane from left to right so that it acts as a bottom frame that anchors the whole image together at the base. This enables the free forms of the bottles and glass to act as visual forms that break the negative space at the top of the composition which is very interesting to the eye.
I didn’t have to use a background to build layers on but this way I didn’t have to cut more shapes than were necessary. It also meant I was able to keep the still life as a theme.
I particularly included as much text as possible so that it brought an element of lines into the composition as well as strengthening the theme. The white handout contains instructions on how to breathe correctly, we humans are belly breathers but because I live in a high state of anxiety most of the time I breathe from the chest area.
When viewing the breathing handout I noticed that the enlarged far right insert that I added is not as sharp as the original text used and is slightly out of focus and the text has a softer outline. So I decided to replace this part of the composition with text from the same handout but place it ever so differently taking into account page and text angles.
If we compare the above two final images the chosen composition which is on the right shows how I altered the text page so that the text is smaller and is angled towards the corner of the page giving stronger leading lines. The text also does not look blurred .
The above image shows the flow lines that I had specifically planned for although within the completed image there are many more flow lines when you begin to study the composition.
A Panographic Image
Once I had completed my final image I used a Panographic app to add some shapes so that the composition looked as though it had been constructed from photographs.
I added a yellow background so that the ‘photograph’ edges were pushed forward to add to the three dimensional shadow effect that was added to the images.